Who Is This For?
Our French courses and programs are for students for whom French is a second or foreign language: immigrants, anglophones, or international students.
- Perfect your French in optimal conditions with the necessary support;
- Improve speaking, prononciation, reading, and writing in French in a professional or university setting;
- Improve job prospects;
- Prepare for examinations for professional orders;
- Prepare for university studies in French;
- Learn more about Montreal and Quebec francophone culture;
- Obtain a university diploma that testifies your studies in French;
- Master restaurant menus in Paris and cinéma de répertoire!
École de langues offers intermediate French as second language courses that allow you to attain a functional level. It also offers advanced courses that give you an opportunity to perfect your written and spoken French.
Several courses target specific skills: writing, grammar, pronunciation, speaking, listening, reading, specialized vocabulary, literature, business French, French for research, digital culture, etc.
Programs offered in French as a second Language:
- Certificate in French as a Second Language (information in French) (30 credits, intermediary level)
- Certificate in Advanced French as a Second Language (information in French) (30 credits, advanced level)
- Major in Modern Languages and Cultures (study two modern languages, one of which is French) (60 credits)
- Certificate in French and English: the Montreal Experience (information in French) (30 credits)
It is important to note that programs and courses offered in languages other than English and French are intended for French-speaking students and are not suited for students who do not master French.
Students who wish to take one or several individual or elective courses in French can make their course selection during the registration period. A list of courses available to all students is available online (information in French). The list of courses offered at École de langues (information in French) is available under the Programs and Courses menu item.
Those interested in French as second language programs or courses at the École de langues must take a placement test in order to determine their level in French. Students who have already taken French courses at UQAM do not have to take this test.
- French as a second language programs and courses news (in French)
- French as a second language Facebook page (in French)
- Student seminar
- Conjuguons lire et écrire (information in French) (French reading and writing contest)
- Intercultural Twinning (information in French): a students may, during their studies in French, participate in two, three or four intercultural twinnings.
- Journal des étudiants de français langue seconde (in French): a French newspaper written by students.
Consult the page on International activities for information on student exchanges, internships, summer schools, etc.